It’s almost the end of another year. Twelve months ago, I was upset over (you guessed it) a man, so I started this blog to make myself feel better. That man no longer has an effect on me but I’m blessed to still be able to share my passion for writing with the world.
A lot has happened in my life since then. I’ve made great new friends and discovered interesting new hobbies. During the summer, I meditated in the Scottish Highlands and hill walked in the Donegal Gaeltacht.
I spent a wonderful few months with a new guy. We camped by the shore in Kerry, chanted as we traipsed across the fields in Meath, picnicked on living room floors, and practised yoga in front of an alarmingly curious herd of cows. I learned a lot about myself and about relationships. Then, we broke up, and I learned even more.
Come to think of it, I’ve learned a lot of things these past 12 months. Here are 12 of them…
1. You don’t have to be qualified to help another human being. Don’t worry about not knowing the “right” thing to do or say. A hug, a touch, or simply sitting with someone while they talk or cry is more than enough.
2. Let your guard down. I was feeling incredibly depressed one day and instead of staying in (as I usually would) and waiting to face the world until I felt and looked good, I asked for help. As I sobbed in front of a friend, my hair unwashed and my face naked, he held my hand and told me: “It takes incredible courage to allow yourself be vulnerable.”
3. Life is all about sharing. Be open and you’ll never be alone.
4. You know you’re only human. Admit it to others. They will love you for it.
5. Allowing yourself to grieve is enabling yourself to heal.
6. The worst thing you can do is take yourself too seriously. A sense of humour is a magnificent tool. Use it as often as you can.
7. Breathe. Deep breathing creates a sense of calm and gives you energy.
8. Love. Freely and openly. Don’t hold back.
9. Alcohol is not your friend. No matter how many chances you give it, it will always let you down.
10. Don’t be afraid to give. Give love, presents, compliments… The more you give, the more you will receive. Abundance is all around us.
11. Be present in everything you do. Taste. Experience. Feel. Observe. Enjoy.
12. Honesty will set you free. Be honest with yourself and with others. You’ll be surprised at how easy life becomes.
Here’s a bonus one… It is Christmas after all…
- You will never find true happiness if you seek it outside of yourself. Save yourself heartache and frustration and just stop looking.
Writing this blog has taught me a lot too. I love it and I find it therapeutic. I’ve also learned that it helps others, which makes it all the more worthwhile.
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for following my blog. Your comments, encouragement and support mean so much to me. A very merry Christmas to you all.
Hello matee nice blog